SEO is as important as ever in 2020.
Search Engine Optimization is the methodology of ranking your website higher in search engines, resulting in more traffic, exposure and sales.
The SEO landscape has changed largely over the last decade but statistics show that there is no stopping this marketing channel.
Here are some really insane SEO statistics:
- Search Engine Statistics
- General SEO Statistics
- Content Marketing Statistics
- Local SEO Statistics
- Mobile SEO Statistics
Search Engine Statistics
1. In 2019, Google accounted for just over 75% of all global desktop search traffic, followed by Bing at 9.97%, Baidu at 9.34%, and Yahoo at 2.77%.
2. Google has received nearly 2.3 trillion searches this year.
3. Of the billions of searches that happen on a given day, 15% of daily searches are new to Google.
4. On the first page alone, the first five organic results account for 67.60% of all the clicks.
5. Google currently holds 78.01% of the search market share With Baidu 9.1%, Bing at 7.16% and Yahoo at 3.63%.
FREE SEO Website Audit
Get more traffic online with this Free SEO Website Analysis.
6. Google properties (Google images, YouTube, maps etc) now own just over 90% (up by ~1.5% in 2015) of all searches on the internet.
7. “Where to buy” + “near me” mobile queries have grown by over 200% in the past two years.“Where to buy” + “near me” mobile queries have grown by over 200% in the past two years. Click To Tweet
8. Video drives a 157% increase in organic traffic from SERPs.
9. Only 25 percent of users go to the second page of search results.
10. Search engines drive 10 times more traffic to shopping sites than social media.
11. In 2020, there will be 221 million mobile phone search users in the US.
12. Over 5.5 billion searches are performed on Google every day.
13. Position #1 in google enjoys a 34.36% CTR.
14. On average, Google receives over 63,000 search queries every second.
15. You’re 53% more likely to show up on the first page of Google if you have a video on your homepage.
16. The average page in top position has over 35,000 external backlinks.
17. 93% of marketers think Featured Snippets drive more website clicks.
18. Currently, over 50% of the global population has access to the internet, and therefore, uses search engines to find information.
19. Pages with a faster loading speed rank higher in Google.
20. More than 50% of all searches end in no click.
21. 40% of business revenue on average is generated by organic search.
22. On a given Google search, users are 20x more likely to click the organic search result over a paid ad.On a given Google search, users are 20x more likely to click the organic search result over a paid ad. Click To Tweet
23. 20% of online searches are image searches.
24. According to Andrey Lipattsev, Search Quality Senior Strategist at Google, high-quality content and link building are the two most important signals used by Google to rank your website for search.
25. 8% of search queries are phrased as questions.
26. 8% of Google queries result in pogo-sticking (i.e. the searcher clicks a result, then bounces back to the search results page and chooses a different result).
27. The first organic desktop listing gets 19.3% of clicks.
28. 93% of Google-owned traffic is based on HTTPS sites.
29. 12% of search queries have a Featured Snippet box.
30. Every year, Google changes its algorithm around 500-600 times.
General SEO Statistics
31. High-quality content and link building are the two most important signals used by Google to rank your website for search.
32. 57% of marketing executives say on-page content development was the most effective SEO tactic.
33. 24% of pages don’t have a single backlink.
34. 41% of large companies consider link building as the most difficult SEO tactic.
35. The more backlinks a page has, the more search traffic it gets from Google.
36. The top four ranking factors are website visits, time on site, pages per session, and bounce rate.
37. 36% of SEO experts think the headline/title tag is the most important SEO element.
38. 50% of all searches will be voice searches by 2020.
39. The number of voice queries increased by 3,400% between 2008 and 2017.
40. Long-tail keyword searches have a click-through rate 3% to 5% higher than generic searches.
41. 70% of marketers see SEO as more effective than PPC.
42. SEO offers a 14.6% close rate.
43. At 82%, LinkedIn is the most effective social media platform for delivering content and engaging the audience.
44. SEO has ~20X more traffic opportunities than PPC on both mobile and desktop.SEO has ~20X more traffic opportunities than PPC on both mobile and desktop. Click To Tweet
45. 50% of companies monitor their search rankings weekly.
46. 70% of consumers say it’s important to have directions and a call button in ads.
47. As page load time goes from one second to ten seconds, the probability of a bounce increases by 123%.
48. 34% of companies allocate more than $1,000 per month to their link building efforts.
49. 86% of experts use PPC data to help with their SEO campaigns.
50. 91% of marketers optimize their social media profiles for SEO.
51. Businesses with a marketing strategy allocate on average 41% of their budget to SEO
52. 82% of people who implemented an SEO strategy found it to be effective.
53. 61% of marketers say improving SEO and growing their organic presence is their top inbound marketing priority.
54. 7% of all voice search answers came from a featured snippet.
55. If done right, SEO can drive a 14.6% conversion rate.
56. SEO Industry is poised to reach $80 billion.
57. 45% of enterprises are investing more than $20,000 on SEO each month.
Content Marketing Statistics
58. The average content length of the top position Google article contains 2,416 words.
59. 40% of SEOs think companies under-invest in the quality/relevance of their content.
60. The average word count of a voice search result page is 2,312 words.
61. According to Ahrefs, 90.88% of all pages (from an index of 1 billion pages in their content explorer tool) receive no traffic at all and only 4.5% of them get less than 10 visits per month.
62. 91% of all pages never get any organic traffic from Google, mostly due to the fact they don’t have backlinks.
63. Updating and republishing old blog posts with new content and images can increase organic traffic by as much as 106%.
64. Images are returned for 22.6% of search queries on Google.
65. Content marketing gets three times more leads than paid search advertising.
66. 42% of SEOs spend equal time on building internal and external links.
67. A blog post should have 2-5 internal links.
68. Content creation is the most effective SEO tactic in 2020.
69. Almost 1/3 of SEOs think content is the most important factor for an SEO-friendly website.Almost 1/3 of SEOs think content is the most important factor for an SEO-friendly website. Click To Tweet
70. Blogging is the top content marketing tactic.
71. Brands that post more blog posts each month generate 4.5x more leads.
72. Content marketing strategy can increase traffic by 2,000%.
73. Companies with blogs get 97% more backlinks.
74. Blogs posts with images in them are viewed 94% more than those without.
75. B2B (business-to-business) marketers receive 67% more leads if they have a blog.
Local SEO Statistics
76. 72% of consumers who did a local search visited a store within five miles.
77. 88% of consumers will interact with a local business within 24 hours of searching for it on a mobile device.
78. SEO stats show that 82% of businesses haven’t claimed their Bing listings.
79. Every month, people visit over 1.5 billion business locations related to keywords they searched for on Google.
80. 56% of local retailers haven’t claimed their business listings on Google.
81. 78% of location-oriented searches will lead to an offline conversion.
82.76% of users on Google who search for something in their local area will visit that business within one day. 28% of them will purchase something.
83. The Google local pack appears in the top spot of 93% of searches with local intent.
Mobile SEO Statistics
84. In 2019, 52% of all worldwide online traffic comes from mobile, 45% from desktop.
85. By 2021, mobile is predicted to dominate online sales, driving 54% in sales.By 2021, mobile is predicted to dominate online sales, driving 54% in sales. Click To Tweet
86. Mobile accounted for 52.2% of all web traffic in 2018. This went up from 0.9% in 2009.
87. 79% of people took a relevant action on their phone prior to making a purchase.
88. 61% of mobile searches end in no click at all, and 33.7% of desktop searches end in no click at all.
89. The cut off load time for a mobile device is 5 seconds.
90. 92% of all mobile and tablet search traffic comes from Google.
91. Over 73 billion phone calls will be generated from mobile search alone by the end of 2018.
92. In 2021, mobile is expected to eclipse desktop for online sales.
FREE SEO Website Audit
Get more traffic online with this Free SEO Website Analysis.